Serving our Nation
Then and now
Click the photo to view Video from the Line Islands Expedition
2002 – Captain Vincent Backen purchased the White Holly to initiate the Seamen's Training Center Western United States Inc., a not for profit “501 c 3”. She continues her service to our nation by "Serving the Maritime Community"
VESSEL HISTORY - TIMELINE
D-Day June 6, 1944 - The ship was commissioned to the U.S. Navy as a yard freighter, built by Basalt Rock Co. in Napa California, christened at Mare Island naval ship yard, Vallejo Ca. and given the hull number of “YF-341”
The YF-341was sent directly to Pearl Harbor Hawaii. Her duties were to supply naval ships with ammunition.
July 17, 1947 - Struck from the Navy register.
November 8, 1947 - YF-341 was out fitted for work as a buoy-tender and Commissioned into the United States Coast Guard.
December 22, 1947 - Now bearing the name White Holly she arrived in her first Coast Guard home port of Ketchikan, Alaska. For almost a quarter of a century the White Holly could be seen servicing aids to navigation in South East Alaska.
November, 1971 - The White Holly departed Ketchikan for her new homeport. After a two-month, 8,000 mile ocean voyage arrived in New Orleans, were she served our Nation for another 27 years. The White Holly performed such duties as aids to navigation, search and rescue, law enforcement and environmental protection.
1998 - The White Holly was decommissioned and placed in Baltimore.